Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Wonderous World of Weather

Monday, September 03, 2007

Jesus, Mary and Joseph and all things holy!!!

Sorry, but I just had the most amazing and terrifying weather experience of my entire life (actually, that’s not exactly accurate because it is in fact continuing more or less unabated outside my window even as I write this) – and that’s saying something for someone who has experienced an Oklahoma thunderstorm and a South Korean monsoon. But neither of those can begin to hold a candle to an honest-to-God-holy-shit-the-sky-has-exploded-and buckets-are-coming-down-Jesus-H-fucking-Christ-cats-and-dogs-and-random-farm-animals-falling-from-the-sky-Beninese-tropical-deluge! With lightning that turns pitch black into full daylight for a few fractions of a second. I swear within a minute-and-a-half “la rue” turned into “le riviere.” And moments later I saw my first actual in person tornado, although I had to come halfway around the world to do it.



I was looking at the lights of a nearby (1/4 mile away) cell phone tower and within a few moments it was so dark and raining so hard that they were no longer visible. As I looked beyond the tower I could see in the background the funnel forming about a mile out (just a guess). Just before it got really, really dark I’m pretty sure it was on the ground because there was stuff coming up from the ground as well as falling toward it. Which was about the time the power went out…hmmm, maybe that’s why I couldn’t see the red light anymore. Needless to say, I was scared shitless. Luckily, the funnel did not decide to move in our direction, but at this point I have no idea how long it was on the ground or what kind of damage it might have done. If there’s news to share on that front later I will.

YEAH! The power just came back on! And then it went out again…c’est l’Afrique.

No comments: