Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Peace Corps Update #4

Saturday, 11 August 2007

Bon jour la famille et les amis,

I taught my first formation (class) today. My partner and I taught a group of artisans about the importance of savings. It was awkward and difficult trying to teach in (sucky) French to people who speak it fluently. But we got through it and they even seemed to understand what we were talking about by the end. This was primarily a training exercise for us, so I don’t know how many of the “students” (there were only five) were really there to learn and how many were being paid to come. At least a couple seemed to be making notes, so that’s something.

I doubt if I will be doing many formations when I get to my post, as it sounds like that will be a 9-5 type job. I am still amazed at the incredible good fortune of my assignment. My formation partner (also called Steve, although he’s a Stephen) is actually probably more qualified for the post than I am, but he is married and PC had to find a post with jobs for both him and his wife (she’s a health volunteer originally from Seattle). So they are going up country together and I’m going to Cotonou – go figure. Nevertheless, we’ve gotten to be friends through Seattle connections and a mutual love of baseball. They intend to live in Seattle after PC, so that will be very cool!

A brief trip back in time…this group of trainees had our staging in Philadelphia back in late July. I don’t know if PC does it purposely, but being right in the heart of historic Philadelphia was a major dose of perspective on American history and values to get us ready to go out and share those things with people from another culture. I mean come on; in the space of two days I saw the Liberty Bell, toured Independence Hall, and saw early copies of the Declaration of Independence AND the Constitution. If they didn’t do it on purpose they should have. While waiting in line at Independence Hall we met historian and author David McCullough (1776, John Adams). He was there with a film crew shooting a documentary. A group of us spoke to him for a few moments; we told him what we were doing in Philly and he wished us good luck.

But that was nowhere near the most amazing thing that happened in Philly. Many or most of you have heard me mention Lowen & Navarro at least once over the years. They are a musical duo whose music I have adored for a long time. I am listening to them even as I write this. (I played one of their Christmas songs for some of the family a couple of years ago at Thanksgiving.) Back in 1999 I was fortunate enough to go on a fan cruise with them and they have both been friends of mine since then. I don’t get to see them very often, because they seldom tour the NW, but when I do it’s very special and we get to catch up on what’s going on with each other. In 2004, Eric Lowen was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) and his mobility has diminished lately. But Kjersten and I drove out to Minneapolis back in September to visit her grandmother and to see them play in the city – and it was fantastic! They were about to release a new record and they were in fine form. I got to talk to both Eric and Dan for a few minutes, but there was a full house so it was pretty brief. Still, it was a great night.

Now I mention all of this because a group of us PC types were out on our 2nd night in Philly and were looking for a nice place to eat and drink. Standing out on the sidewalk checking out one place, I happened to look up the street and saw a face I thought looked familiar. I was certain it couldn’t possibly be, but then I heard the voice. Walking toward me on a random street in Philadelphia was DAN NAVARRO! He is on the Board of AFTRA (the TV and radio actor’s union) and was in Philly for a board meeting (or convention, maybe). We talked a little right there on the street and he hooked us up at a place nearby where they play when they’re in Philly. The next night we got together just the two of us for dinner at City Tavern (a place where many of the revolutionaries ate and schemed back in the day). We had a great meal from authentic 18th C recipes and some great beer – also authentic 18th C – but mostly we talked.

We spoke of many things, both public and private. I got to tell him at length about what I’m doing and why. He seemed genuinely proud of me, which felt great coming from someone who I respect so much. (Thank you, Dan.) We talked about cultural adjustments, and what happens when I get back, and about what might happen while I’m away. We each talked some about our lives before we ever met and how our paths have been both similar and different. We talked about music and what it means to each of us – he and Eric have started making a new record. (Hope that wasn’t a secret, Dan.) And we talked about many other things that will remain strictly between the two of us. It was one of the most satisfying, most memorable evenings of my life, all the more so because it now marks the line between my old life and my new one. What an amazing thing…

And I am forced to wonder again if the powers of the universe have an intention for me or if simply by standing up and refusing to go quietly into that good night of mid-life and complacency that I have brought these amazing experiences into being for myself. I like to think it’s the latter but more and more I find it doesn’t matter. Viktor Frankl (Man’s Search for Meaning) tells us:
Ultimately man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather he must recognize that it is he who is asked. In a word, each man is questioned by life; and he can only answer to life by answering for his own life…

This is my answer; here, now, today.

No comments: