Friday, June 20, 2008

Time flies...

This last month or so has been a challenging time for me, both physically and emotionally. In my last post I mentioned having strained a muscle in my side…well, it turns out that’s not what it was at all. After a week or so of the pain getting worse instead of better I went to see the PC Medical Officer (PCMO). He poked and prodded and asked lots of questions and came to the same conclusion I had already come to after consulting the Internet (aka, the oracle of all human truth) – that is, it might be a gall stone. So he sent me off to get an ultrasound and, sure enough, there was about a 2cm stone in my gall bladder. Yikes!

So, back to the PCMO who ran a bunch of more tests to try to eliminate every other possible cause of the pain. In the meantime, he got in touch with the Regional Medical Officer to discuss possible treatment options. As we were discussing these possibilities, including being MedEvac’d to either Senegal or the US for surgery, I developed a lovely case of shingles. This was bad on many levels. First, it put any treatment for the gall stone on hold, because it is caused by a virus (the chicken pox virus, actually), so nothing more could be done until the rash was entirely dissipated. Second, of course, is the fact that shingles are really painful…no REALLY painful! Like codeine-before-bed-so-you-can-get-to-sleep painful. No shit. And the kicker is that the pain from shingles can manifest up to a week before the rash appears, which meant that it was entirely possible that the pain I initially went in for was caused NOT by the gall stone but by the shingles, and the ultrasound had simply revealed an asymptomatic stone that was just hanging around in my gall bladder minding its own business.

All of which adds up to the fact that there was nothing to do but wait, endure the pain (!!!), and see if the pain was still around after the shingles went away. The good news, I guess, is that once the shingles passed, the pain went with them. Which on the one hand means no surgery (yeah!), but on the other means no free trip home or to Dakar (boo!). So I think that one comes up a wash.

While I was spending most of the week with the PCMO, my counterpart was in Burkina Faso at in international conference on arbitration. Apparently, because we were both away, MCA took that opportunity to move us into our new office space. This should be good news. We’ve been waiting for this since I got here. It’s one of the reasons the business plan was such a priority; we couldn’t move until the funds were disbursed, which couldn’t happen until the business plan was approved. Unfortunately, the building where our new space is located is brand new…or more accurately, unfinished. There is power, but there are no phone lines, no Internet connection, and no AC. There is also almost no furniture; just the few pieces that came over from the old office. So now we are in place in a huge new space with almost nowhere to work and almost no way to do work. Needless to say, I’ve been spending a lot of time at the PC bureau.

One recent weekend was the first time since I got here that I actively wished I could have been at home. The Northwest Chamber Chorus just celebrated its 40th anniversary. The mayor actually proclaimed a Northwest Chamber Chorus Day in the city of Seattle. My mom has been singing with the chorus for all 40 of those years. The Chamber Chorus has been a part of my life for almost as long as I can remember. Of course, I didn’t always appreciate it as much as I have come to in my adult years. There were times, admittedly, when I hated Monday nights because mother was always in a hurry to get out the door to rehearsal. But I also have very fond, if somewhat sketchy, memories of singing with the chorus when I was a young boy. I remember in particular singing “Food, Glorious Food” in the sanctuary at University Unitarian Church. (This may have been with the church choir, I’m not entirely certain.) These days, it’s not really Christmas-time until I’ve heard the NWCC version of A Child’s Christmas in Wales – preferably in a live concert. And, of course, I have very clear and wonderful memories of going with the Chorus on their tour to France and Italy back in 2000 (was it really that long ago?) and being able to join in the warmth and camaraderie that have sustained their 40-year tradition. What a marvelous experience and what a great group of people to have it with! I am sad that I wasn’t able to be there to hear the anniversary concert and to help my mom and my friends in the Chorus celebrate this wonderful milestone. Birthdays and holidays come around every year, but something like this that only happens once makes me realize that life la bas really does go on without me.

All of this stuff has me, really for the first time in my life, confronting the fact that I’m getting older (NOT old, just older). I am closer to the next big round number than I am to the last one, and that next one is a big one. I’m effectively embarking on what could fairly be described as my third career. A big part of me feels like I’ve been all these places and seen and done all these things and yet I don’t have a lot to show for it. But if you were to ask me what more I would want I’m not sure I could give you an answer. C’est la vie?

And seemingly in the blink of an eye another month has passed. I think it was Marx who said, “Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.” (If you’re having trouble locating that reference in your copy of The Communist Manifesto, look under: Marx, Groucho.) Mother’s Day and Father’s Day have slipped by (not unnoticed – I love you and miss you both) and the 4th of July is rapidly approaching.

Speaking of the 4th of July, it is going to be a HUGE day for PC-Benin because the next group of trainees arrives in Cotonou that day. Yes, 65 more poor misguided souls have decided to give up their comfy little lives to spend two years in our little corner of Hell. (Mostly kidding!) Preparations are well underway for their arrival; a load of new mattresses (beware!) arrived at the bureau the other day, water bottles and gas bottles are blocking multiple passageways around here, and there are probably a hundred bicycles in various states of repair out in the courtyard. Stage will be held in and around Porto Novo this year, which should make the logistics a lot easier. I will be working as a trainer for the first week so I get to initiate the newbies into PC life and life here in Benin. Last year’s trainers did a great job of making us feel welcome and bringing us up to speed on la vie du Benin, so we have a lot to live up to. I have also recently been selected as co-coordinator for the Peer Support Network, a group of volunteers who are trained to provide confidential support and counseling to PCVs who need it. So, I will be visiting the stagiaires occasionally throughout their training to make sure all is well and to give them ideas for things they can do to ease their adjustment and better deal with culture shock.

I guess that’s about all the news for now. Keep those cards and letters coming.

1 comment:

Judith A. Johnson said...

Sorry to hear about all your ailments. Your shingles description gave me the shivers, I know that it supposed to be one of the most painful things. Glad to hear that that is over.
Be kind to the newbies, it's hard to believe, now, how fast the year has gone. Carly feels confident the next year will be better and easier.
We are due in country the first week of Sept., just missing the swear in ceremony by hours, because of the date change, which Carly says may change again. We'll see what happens.
Stay relatively dry
Judy ( Carly's mom)