Sunday, February 17, 2008

A three hour tour...


So yes, I met President Bush yesterday. It was pretty cool, though not as cool as what you might have seen on TV. You see, we weren’t invited to the ceremony with Benin’s President Yayi Boni (that's who I really wanted to meet). We didn’t see President Bush get presented with a sash and a medal, or get to watch the children perform for him…oh, no. We were all in another room, in another part of the airport, waiting two hours while all that stuff took place elsewhere. Members of the embassy staff, Peace Corps staff and volunteers, Fulbright scholars, etc. were all invited to a “meet & greet” AFTER the formal ceremonies took place. Mind you, we didn’t know what we were missing until we saw the news later last night; we just figured he was conferring with Yayi Boni. Ca va…

Still, like I said, it was pretty cool. They had a room set up with a podium, flags, etc. (see photo) in front of a blue curtain. When GWB was done with his other activities, he came over to thank all of us – who, after all, are in Benin representing the United States – for being here, far from home, enduring hardships so that he can brag about how much the US cares about Africa. OK, that might not be exactly what he said, but he did thank us for doing what we’re doing. He talked about the US commitment to Africa, which has been greater under his watch than under any other president in recent memory (i.e., ever). Through programs like PEPFAR (President’s Emergency Program for AIDS Reduction), PMI (President’s Malaria Initiative) and Millennium Challenge, Africa has made enormous strides over the last few years; much of it as a result of aid from the US. Obviously, they aren’t out of the woods, yet. But it’s getting better, and Benin is a prime example of that.

[BTW, as an aside, there are proposals in both houses of Congress right now to reduce the funding levels for the Millennium Challenge Corporation. I know that in the paradigm of beltway insiders, appropriations often become the battleground for partisan politics. There are, however, occasions when such infighting does a concrete disservice to our country and to the world. I believe this is just such an occasion. Reducing the funding levels for MCC would be like cutting off the Republicans’ nose to spite the face of the entire developing world. If this country needs anything right now, it needs initiatives that will restore our standing with the international community. I can tell you from my experience here that MCC is just such a program. Please, encourage your Senators and Congresspersons to support continued FULL funding for Millennium Challenge. It is by far the best thing to come out of the Bush White House and it would be a disgrace if it became the victim of partisan sniping. OK, off my soapbox.]

Back to the presidential visit. I was attired in a traditional Beninese three-piece bumba (see photo) complete with a multi-colored fez. When I say traditional, it is traditional Muslim attire in Benin. As the president reached out to shake my hand, I took his hand and said, “As salaam aleykum, Mr. President.” This is a traditional Arabic greeting that means, “Peace be with you.” This is a very popular greeting in many parts of Benin, and not wholly inappropriate I felt. I had decided to greet him that way to perhaps elicit a moment’s thought from him as he went through the motions of walking the rope line.


His reply, which caught me somewhat off-guard, was, “You must be a Peace Corps volunteer!”

Now right away I’m thinking, “How did he know that? Was it the clothes? The hat maybe? Was it somehow the fact that I spoke to him in a language that isn’t indigenous to either Benin or the United States? What?”

What I said was, “Yes, sir, I am.”

“Do ya love it here?” he asked next.

“Yeah,” I told him, “most of the time. It’s hard. But most of the time I do.”

“Well, thanks for everything yer doin’.” And then he was off to shake the next hand.
I must say he seemed very authentic, down-to-earth and approachable; very easy to talk to. I’m sure that’s why he was elected twice. After that I shook hands with and spoke to Mrs. Bush (who asked where I was from) and Condaleeza Rice (who asked what my work was with Peace Corps; we talked briefly about MCC). They ALL made a point to shake hands with and greet every single person in the room, Americans and Beninese alike. When they finished, the president stood for two group photos with us and then they were off to get back on the plane and head for Tanzania. All told I think they spent about three hours in Benin…all at the airport.
So..."Bon voyage, Mr. President." Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

No comments: